6 August, 2013
Prawn Malai CurryComments : 2 Posted in : Food, Recipes on by : Reema Tags: coconut milk, Indian cuisine, prawn, prawn curry
Curries made with coconut milk are my favourite – I simply can’t resist them.
Prawn Malai Curry is a Bengali specialty from India. Malai means cream – in this case, the coconut kind. This curry is super tasty and surprisingly easy – even for those who have never attempted Indian cooking before.
We had some friends over for lunch this weekend and Prawn Malai Curry served with hot basmati rice made a perfect meal. Full credit to hubby for the heart shaped rice presentation. 🙂
Prawn Malai Curry
Cooked prawns – 200g
Coconut milk – 1 tin (400ml)
Plain yogurt – 3 tablespoons
Tomato paste – 1 tablespoon
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
Paprika – 2 teaspoons
Ginger – 1 inch piece, chopped
Garlic – 3 cloves, chopped
Cardamom – 3 pods
Cinnamon – 1 stick, halved
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tablespoon
- In a bowl, add yogurt, tomato paste, half the coconut milk, red chilli powder, garam masala and paprika. Mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry ginger, garlic, cinnamon and cardamom pods for 1 minute.
- Add prepared mixture and salt to taste. Add remainder of coconut milk if you want extra gravy.
- Bring to boil and let the curry thicken slightly.
- Add pre-cooked prawns shortly before taking off the heat.
- Serve with hot basmati rice.
Devour and enjoy!!