3 May, 2013
Lipstick JungleComments : 3 Posted in : Beauty on by : Reema Tags: beauty, chanel, Cleopatra, Cosmetics, lipstick, mac
I read earlier that this week marked the 130th anniversary of modern day lipstick. Given that lipstick is a beauty staple for women across the world, I thought it might be fun to dig deeper into the history of this miracle worker and share some little known facts with all of you.
- Lipsticks made out of colourful fruit and plant juices have been used by women since prehistoric times
- In ancient Mesopotamia, women used to grind gemstones and use the dust to decorate their lips with sparkles.
- Cleopatra is known to have used a mixture of beetle and ant juice to colour her lips red – Yikes!
- During the Roman empire, the lipstick was an indicator of social rank, worn by both men and women.
- The world’s first kiss-proof lipstick was called Rouge Baiser and introduced in France in 1927. It was taken off the market shortly after as it was too hard to remove.
- US cosmetics giant, Maxfactor, introduced the world to lip gloss back in 1932.
- Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II commissioned her own lipstick to match her robes for the Coronation Ceremony. The lovely shade was named “The Balmoral Lipstick”
- Lipstick sales rise on gloomy and rainy days – In that case, London must be the lipstick capital of the world! 😉
I love Mac and Chanel lipsticks and am currently obsessed with every shade of rosy pink. What are your favourite brands and shades?
3 thoughts on : Lipstick Jungle
MAC lipstick is definitely my favorite :).
I love Mac!!! And a cute Korean brand called Etude House. Favourite colours. Russian Red by Mac. Just cause it’s the most perfect red. I am currently obsessed with oranges and corals and also every shade of pink.
Mac is the best! I had no idea about Etude House – will definitely look it up! Thanks!! 🙂