12 September, 2013
Greek Style Quinoa SaladComments : 4 Posted in : Food, Health, Recipes on by : Reema Tags: food, Greek salad, healthy recipe, quinoa, Salad
I have much reduced my intake of animal protein and made a dedicated effort to add more raw fruits and vegetables to my diet. A salad a day is my motto these days and so far, so good.
Today’s lunch was a simple Greek salad of tomato, cucumber, olives and feta cheese, lifted up to superfood status with miracle grain, quinoa.
Quinoa is packed full of protein, iron, fibre and what not?
Quinoa tastes quite delicious too and the best part is knowing that I am rewarding my body with something that is both wholesome and enjoyable – what a great feeling!
Try this salad sometime – I am sure you will agree.
Greek Style Quinoa Salad with Cucumber, Tomato, Olives and Feta
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
15 cherry tomatoes, halved
10 Greek black olives, pitted and chopped
1 spring onion, chopped
Crumbled feta cheese, as much (or as little!)as you need
Juice of 1 lemon
Olive oil for dressing
Salt and pepper
1. Boil 2 cups of water with a little salt.
2. Rinse quinoa thoroughly and add to boiling water. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until the water is absorbed and quinoa is done.
3. Once quinoa cools down, place it in a big bowl and mix in the cucumber, cherry tomatoes, onion and olives.
4. Squeeze juice of 1 lemon and drizzle olive oil on top and mix well.
5. Add some crumbled feta cheese and season with salt and pepper.
6. Enjoy – guilt-free!
You can eat a big bowl of the quinoa salad as a meal or have a smaller portion as a side dish.
The salad keeps in the fridge for a couple of days so you can have yourself a yummy superfood fix as and when you need it.