12 December, 2013
Kerala Style Pepper ChickenComments : 3 Posted in : Food, Recipes on by : Reema Tags: curry, food, Indian, kerala, pepper, recipe, spicy
Brrrr. It is freezing cold out there and on wintry days like these, all I want is hot, comfort food. In my case, comfort is always a steaming bowl of spicy curry. Thai, Malaysian, Indian, any kind will do – but, the only way is curry!
Today, I am sharing the recipe for a delicious Kerala style Pepper Chicken I made earlier in the week. As you can guess, the dish uses loads of black peppercorns and fresh curry leaves along with other aromatic spices traditionally used in food from this particular region of India.
Mr. A & I love ordering this dish at our favourite South Indian restaurant in London, Chennai Dosa. I am proud to say that this version of Pepper Chicken rivals the one at our beloved Chennai Dosa and is so much healthier!
Do give it a try the next time you are in the mood for a spicy Indian curry. We had the Pepper Chicken with naan one night and the leftovers with rice last night – tasted fantastic both ways!
Kerala Style Pepper Chicken
500g chicken, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon, yogurt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
1 onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, pureed
2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 sprig of curry leaves
2 tablespoons, cooking oil
For the spice paste:
10 black peppercorns
3 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
4 dry red chillies
1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds
7 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
- Prep the chicken by marinading in yogurt, turmeric, a pinch of salt and some black pepper. Set aside for 30 mins.
- Fry all the hard spices (listed under spice paste) in 1 spoon oil for 1-2 mins and then take off heat to cool. Blend into a paste adding a little bit of water if required.
- Fry onion, chilli and curry leaves in 1 spoon of oil until the onions are soft.
- Add the blended paste and mix together to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes. Feel free to add more water to reach your desired consistency.
- Add the chicken and mix well with the gravy.
- Season to taste with salt and simmer on low heat with the lid on for 8-10 mins until the chicken is cooked and tender.
- Gobble it up with some naan or rice!
Be warned: this Pepper Chicken is spicy so definitely tone down (or up!) the spices to suit your tastes.
Vegetarians: feel free to add tofu, paneer or lots of vegetables as an alternative to chicken. I’m sure it will taste just as good – the comfort lies in the curry! 🙂